Want to add routing to your GIS app? In a previous post we introduced you to routing with OpenStreetMap data. Routing is much more than just getting turn by turn direction and could possibly add value to your existing mapping app. Here are some common routing scenarios:
• Traveling Salesman Problem – allows you to generate the optimal sequence for visiting multiple locations.
• Service area definition – answers the question: how far can I travel based on given speed within a specific amount of time?
• Route around special events or road blocks – reroute based on temporary closures or to avoid certain roads.
• Route within a given area – users can route within a specific area. The reverse can also be done where users have to avoid certain areas.
• Route along Points of interest – finding the shortest path between start and end points within a given point of interest/ stop along the route i.e. routing along gas stations.
You can view the interactive demo for some of these scenarios here.
Use the Routing Extension in conjunction with any Map Suite Developer Tool to build your customized GIS application. ThinkGeo offers .NET dev tools for desktop, web, and mobile that allow you to create advanced routing applications.